Please note that we have multiple roles across following locations: NCL1, NCL2, MME1, MME2***
This role focuses on those who have military experience interested in working in the private sector. Amazon’s military recruiting team is available to discuss the many opportunities within Amazon.
At Amazon, thousands of former military are driving innovation and raising the bar on customer experience. On a daily basis, those with military backgrounds are able to apply their knowledge, skills, and leadership abilities in a wide variety of careers – influencing change across the globe.
Amazon apprenticeship schemes suit candidates with different backgrounds, qualifications and career aspirations; people who are excited to learn and want to start a career now – or possibly retrain in a new direction. To be successful you will need to be committed to your own development and be prepared to make the most of the opportunities, hands on experience, and qualifications presented to you. After graduating from your apprenticeship, you will be qualified to apply for a permanent role within our Reliability, Maintenance, and Engineering (RME) team.
Key job responsibilities
Mechatronics maintenance apprenticeship
Amazon is the perfect place to start your career in mechatronics maintenance. As one of the world’s largest retail companies, we have an unrivalled range of equipment, technologies, and facilities, so there are a huge variety of projects you can work on during the program.
You will build your skills over a 48-month period – starting in September 2024, including:
• Classroom training and workshops hosted offsite
• Amazon’s on-the-job training program, delivered by our specialist RME team
• Mentorship from our RME engineers
Alongside extensive development of your technical skills, you will also grow your abilities in crucial complementary areas, such as organisation, prioritisation, data analysis and problem-solving techniques, teamwork, communication, and presentation skills.
Year 1 is full-time residential (classroom) training at one of our training provider facilities. As a result, you may be required to work away from home Monday to Friday each week during term time (costs will be supported by Amazon), combined with short periods working at one of our operations warehouses. This will give you a thorough and detailed insight into the work of the RME team, as well as the basic skills necessary before working autonomously on our site equipment. Subsequent years will comprise day or block release training at a specialist college where you will study for an HNC in Electronic & Electrical Engineering, and on-the-job training in a Fulfilment/Sortation Centre or Delivery Station among our team of technicians and engineers.
Not only will you receive invaluable learning, development, and professional experience, but you will also gain a number of externally recognised qualifications. You will graduate from the apprenticeship and be able to apply for a role as an Amazon Multi-Skilled Maintenance Technician where we will continue your development, allowing you to grow within the business.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Bowburn, DUR, GBR | Darlington, GBR | Gateshead, POST-TWR, GBR | Stockton-on-tees, STB, GBR
For the apprenticeship program we prioritise applicants eligible for government funding for their apprenticeship, the requirements of which are:
• Be a UK national, or a non UK national with the right to work in the UK, or an EU national and have settled status in the UK, and have lived in the UK or an EEA, or British overseas territory for 3 years or more prior to commencing the apprenticeship (September 2024)
• Be a resident of the UK for the entire duration of the program
• Not be registered to study on a UK government funded course ending August 2024 or later
• You will be 18 years old or older before entering an Amazon building (September 2024)
• You have 3 GCSEs at Grade C/4 or above (or equivalent): Maths, English and a science/technology subject
If you have received educational qualifications outside of the UK then we will require a Statement of Comparability to confirm your eligibility for the scheme. Please ensure you obtain one during the application process, through UK ENIC: (url removed)
• You have a deep interest in maintenance and a solid willingness to become a multi-skilled technician in both electrical and mechanical disciplines.
• You have a desire to learn practical workshop / tool usage skills.
• You are able to read, understand, and communicate fluently in English, and interact and engage comfortably with people at all levels of the business.
• You have a desire to learn how to fault find and repair automation systems and machinery.
• You can follow a list of guidelines and instructions (verbal or written) to deliver results and meet deadlines.
• Demonstrate a hands-on, flexible, and proactive approach.
• Possess excellent customer facing skills and be able to deliver impeccable customer service
• You seek and respond well to feedback.
• Experience (or a willingness to learn and practice) working to appropriate health & safety standards and regulations.
• You have flexibility in working hours and shift patterns to provide cover for operational requirements.
• You are able to operate in a complex and fast paced environment.
Note: If you already have a higher degree, or are studying towards a higher degree, in the same field or a related one, you will not be eligible to this apprenticeship.
These will be a plus for your career at Amazon but are not necessary to enter the program.
• You have 5 GCSEs at Grade C/4 or above (or equivalent), including Maths, English and a science/technology subject.
• You are studying towards a BTEC Level 3 National qualification or equivalent in an Engineering subject or studying for ‘A’ levels with a bias toward science and technology.
All our apprenticeships are paid. Compensation varies by program and location, but is always competitive.
Your recruitment process will start with your online application (providing your CV as well as answering questions about the above basic qualifications) and will then take you into online testing and video interviewing on a platform called Hirevue. As a final step, we will invite suitable candidates to an assessment centre, which includes visiting an operations warehouse, participating in a group exercise, carrying out a practical exercise (if on-site only), and partaking in interviews.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice ((url removed)) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.
Our inclusive culture empowers Amazonians to deliver the best results for our customers. If you have a disability and need an adjustment during the application and hiring process, including support for the interview or onboarding process, please contact the Applicant-Candidate Accommodation Team (ACAT), Monday through Friday from 7:00 am GMT – 4:00 pm GMT. If calling directly from the United Kingdom, please dial (phone number removed) ((url removed)(phone number removed)). If calling from Ireland, please dial (phone number removed) ((url removed)(phone number removed))
To apply for this job please visit uk.whatjobs.com.